Sunday, November 13, 2011

White Chili From the Kitchen of Mary

Mary Mary quite contrary how does your garden grow?

Mary is my big sister, previous roommate (when we were in Elementary), my example and friend.



For my wedding she spent hours making me a recipe book filled with her delicious favorites.  Now a mother of three and an excellent chef, she is always telling Shana and I about fun things to try.  As sisters we share this love for cooking.  

Although Mary is in Spokane, we had the fam over for one of her recipes: White Chili.

Ingredients
1 T. vegetable oil
2 medium onions (1 cup)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 cups chicken broth
2 T. chopped fresh cilantro or 1/2 tsp ground coriander
2 T. lime juice
1 t. ground cumin
1/2 t. dried oregano
1/4 t. red pepper sauce (I couldn't find this and used Cayenne pepper instead)
1/4 t. salt
1 (11-oz) can white shoepeg or whole kernel corn, drained
1 (15-oz) can great northern beans, drained
1 (15 1/2-oz) can butter beans, drained (I couldn't find these and used white canellini beans instead)
2 cups cooked chicken breast (we grilled our chicken)

Directions: 
1) In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.  Cook onions and garlic in oil 4-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are tneder.
2) Stir in remaining ingredients except chicken  Heat to boiling, reduce heat.  Simmer uncovered 20 minutes.  Stir in chicken; simmer about 5 minutes until hot.

(Can cook in a dutch oven)


We enjoyed this with salad and tortilla chips!  I really appreciate Mary and that she in constantly igniting creativity in me in so many ways!

3 comments:

  1. Yummy yummy YUMMY! I'm eating this chili right now for left-overs. I did change up the recipe a bit to make it go farther. I added a whole quart of chicken broth and 1 more can of northern beans and canellini beans. To make up for more broth, I added more cumin and lime juice (sorry didn't measure how much), then I added pepper and about 2 tablespoons of hot sauce to seal the deal. Then I let it cook for about an hour on low. I will keep this recipe forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH yeah, I also added more oregano, but again, I never measure so I couldn't tell you how much. :) I'd say the fresh cilantro was my fav ingredient. It's cheap and so flavorful.

    ReplyDelete