Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Brown Sugar

Brown Sugar is the key ingredient in carmel.  It makes everything more delicious.  Here are two fun recipes that were terrific!

My mother-in-law, Colleen, taught me to make these.  I couldn't ask for a better new mom.  She has made me feel so at home from the beginning.  I respect her so much and trust her completely.  When we we first started dating, I asked my husband about his mother.  He said she is a best friend.  He told me how she lived her life to brighten others and was such a good listener.  I've found this to be so true.  She wrote me often while I was in Jerusalem and it meant so much.  She is always making us incredible Sunday dinners and willing to teach me how to make fun recipes.  She has become close friends with my family and together we made this treat for them.  They almost died with joy.
 

Turtle Bars
1 1/2 c. Flour
1 1/2 c. oatmeal
1/3 t. salt
2/3 t. soda
1 1/8 c. brown sugar
2 cube melted butter

Mix the above ingredient together.  Put half on bottom of a 9x13 pan and save half for the top. 
Bake this crust 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
Melt 48 carmels (1 lb.) with 7 T. of cream canned milk or milk.  (Or use Carmel Ice Cream Topping.)
3/4 c. chocolate chips over the crust mixture
1 c. chopped nuts over this (optional)

Pour carmel mixture over this.  Put remaining crust mixture on top. 

Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. 

Colleen quoted her Aunt Marilyn to say, "The difference between a good cook & a great cook is the right recipe."  This gives me hope!



Carmel Popcorn
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup karo syrup
1 cube butter
1 can sweetened condensed milk
popcorn

In a medium saucepan, bring sugar, karo syrup & butter to soft boil temperature (about 240 degrees Fahrenheit).  Add 1 can of sweetened condensed milk & bring up to a boil.   Remove from heat & pour over 3 gallons of popped popcorn.  

(I spread the hot popcorn in a cookie sheet and drizzled the carmel over it and mixed it with my hands.)

(We got all the ingredients & recipe for this as a wedding gift!  We loved it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment