Sunday, December 4, 2011

Heathy's Heavenly Rolls


Blue Grass Music, Baking Bread, Eating Cheerios late at night and singing as we walked home from the BYUI library at 11pm...almost sums up my beautiful Heather.  Words can't actually describe the angel of a friend that she's been to me.  The week before my wedding, with a brand new baby, she and her mother (who was visiting to help her after the birth) made me my wedding veil.  The act was more than just thread and time, it was full of encouragement, excitement, & pure love.  Her mother, Gwen, is the queen of all things domestic and she fed my stomach, more than once, while Heather & I were roommates.  She'd send bread, chicken,  jam  & other treats down with Heather.  Heather's motto was, "What's mine is yours."  Her example changed the way I was as a missionary companion, friend, sibling & now wife.  She gives with all her heart and delights in doing so.  Her voice and smile are unbelievable and always make me happier.  



I was excited that Heather shared her mother's famous roll recipe. Heather made these almost weekly and we'd always squeal with excitement when she did.  She said that her mother following about her beloved mother:
"My mother makes these wonderful rolls for everything, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Sunday dinners & or special nights.  She brings them when she comes to visit, when she'd come visit at college for my and for all other special occasions.  My mother can create something wonderful and useful out of any and everything. She is the master of figuring out how to make anything that you can find online, in stores and at boutiques. She has a mind for making marvelous useful things that make life easier and she is not afraid to fail and try again. That is what creation is all about; we work and work and work till we get it absolutely right! Then it makes our life better and fuller and we move on to the next creation."




Rich Dinner Rolls 
1.5-3 cups flour  (
start with just 1.5 cups & add all 3 cups if its too sticky)
1/4 cup powdered milk
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. Yeast
1/4 cup sugar
mix together and add:

1/4 cup margarine, butter, or shortening
Mix well together and add:

1 & 1/2 cups hot water out of the tap
mix in well and add:

2 eggs beaten in another bowl

Beat and add enough flour to need smooth (the trick in not to add too much! just smooth and soft)
Let rise in a greased bowl at least 10 min.
Punch down and shape into rolls.

Bake at 375 degrees for 15-18 min.
Enjoy :) 

1 comment: